Old September 25th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Denny Denny is offline

Default coaxial dipole

Well, I just put up a 'coaxial' dipole, but I'm easily confused...
I got the diagram out and laid it on the floor and then some coax, and
some insulators, and some wire, and my big ol soldering iron
( about a 1000 watts used for soldering copper pipes back in my auto
company days)
And then I went to wrestlin with the devil...
After the solder smoke and fumes cleared and my eyes quit waterin, I
Looked around and lo to behold it was a dipole...
But the durned coax was runnin from the center to the rig and the wire
wuz runnin from one end insulator to tother one... Didn't look nothin
like the diagram... Well, I'm not one to go against the current so I
decided to put it up anyways just for fun...
So, I gets it up and I goes and checks the swear thing they all talk
about...
Seems there is a problem...
First I sets the swear meter to forward and adjust the knobby thing so
it reads full scale...
Then I tries the reflected setting and that's when the problem
begins...
The needle deflects all the way to zero and when I looks at the funny
looking Bird chart with the kinda diagonal lines running up and down,
that says my swear ratio is 10 to 1... Looks like this 1.0:1 on
the chart.... Guess the printer made a typo...
Well, I decided to see if I could hook up with anyone before I pulled
it back down... There wuz this fella with a funny call sign, 3B7C
answered me... Now I need an dipole that will let me talk to Frank
over in Franklin County, so this coaxial dipole just ain't doing the
job at all...
Guess I gotta start all over agin...

denny / k8do