Old September 25th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default HD radio means Half Dead radio

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
I like this response:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the balls to challenge Ibiquity and the NAB.
They are doing serious damage to our once great industry.

Bring broadcasters back to broadcasting otherwise you may as well
sign the stations off.

September 21, 2007 3:04 PM

Hmmmmm...

That's IF the broadcasters want to stick exclusively with broadcasting,

at
least free broadcasting. Consider that the broadcasters have spent
millions
on IBOC radio interference transmitter equipment and only a pittance on

HD
radio content. And they've spent millions more on advertising HD radio
before adaquate mass market radios were available.

The investment in equipment in the top markets is minimal. As I mentioned,
in LA we spent 10 times as much on the new studio for one morning show as
the HD gear for all 5 of our signals.

Yes, but that wasn't the comparision. How much had been spent on HD radio
content compared to how much had been spent on IBOC hardware?

And, to get to the point, there would have been good promotional value if
the HD radio early adoptors had something special to listen to, and maybe
brag about.

HD radio won't get many more chances to make a good first impression.

The principal objective of HD for us is to put out a digital FM signal; in
LA it is very much less susceptable to multipath. HD2 is a side benefit,

but
not critical at this time.

But people have to at least hear the radios to appreciate any difference.
The market for "crystal clear" simulcasts at high prices is obviously and
predictably small. Better radios at lower prices and worthwhile HD radio
programming would have sold plenty more radios.

Not to say that I have any idea if such a rollout would have been worth it.
The idea of putting more channels on the air without a corresponding
increase in overall listenership and advertising revenues seems
problematical to me but I'm just some guy with a radio, hearing the damn
noise nobody listens to.

There was no expenditure on ad time by the HD Alliance. It is all based on
the value of time on the Alliance stations themselves.

The ads were on the air and from the radio buying public's point of view, it
doesn't matter how they were paid for.

Frank Dresser