Old September 26th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Uncle Peter Uncle Peter is offline

Default Xtal calibrator, 1980 ARRL Handbook

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
Hello Miken:

I If you are going to use integrated circuits in a glowbug receiver, you
need to hide them, since it is unbecoming and might cause others to
ridicule the otherwise heroic effort to recreate a glorious radio. A
simple tube can do a wonderful job of putting out 100 kHz signals, and if
you want 50 kHz, you can use a neon bulb divider.

Many of the simple receivers I built would have been lost with a 100 kHz
marker. A 1 MHz marker would have been more useful, and even then I was
guessing at the which MHz it was. The best marker was simply a crystal in
the ham band and a known point. Something like 3550 kHz, which could also
be used to spot at 7100 kHz. Even odd marked frequencies are useful -
then a properly hand calibrated graph laminated on the front panel (ala
HRO) will give a feeling that none of the wonderful new rigs can touch.

73, Colin K7FM

Colin

do you have a link for using a neon lamp as a frequency divider? This is
the first reference I've seen for this, and I'm fascinated to learn more
about it.

Peter