Old September 20th 04, 07:01 AM
Ed Price

"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
You are correct. When I posted this and a couple of other items for
auction,
I noticed in rec. radio.amateur.equipment that someone replied with the
text
"Keyword Spamming" and that's it.
That was for another item where I commented "like Yaesu" ...but my guess
is
that he just turned me in, and ebay shot down only one of my listings.
Funny, it was killed a few minutes AFTER the auction ended.
It really is a bad idea for ebay to get as involved as they do when it is
an
area they know nothing about. Anybody in to Heathkits would likely be
interested to read or bid on an unassembled Eico from the 1940's
Oh well....they are letting their success spoil them!

Some areas of eBay would become quite useless if buyers were allowed to
insert text that grabs your keyword searches. A seller automatically thinks
he wants to attract the biggest audience, when what he really wants is the
best audience.

If I'm looking for test leads, I'll search for that and some variations. But
if I want Lafayette test gear, I don't want to see somebody who has test
leads that, oh by the way, could be plugged into a Lafayette VTVM. Or
somebody flogging an Eico, that looks sorta like a Knight or a Lafayette or
a Heath.

I don't mind some useful or innocent text references that snag your
attention; the OP seemed to be in this category. But it really burns me to
drop onto an auction that seems only very vaguely related to my search, only
to find that some spammer has listed 75 radio brand names just to be sure of
snagging almost everyone. And since I often run 10 or so very targeted
searches, I'll get to see that same dumb auction ten times. And I can
guarantee you that I'll turn him in to abuse before I get to the tenth
viewing.

Ed
wb6wsn