Old September 30th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default HD radio won't just go away.

In article om,
SFTV_troy wrote:

On Sep 29, 2:46 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article om,

SFTV_troy wrote:
Rfburns wrote:
Despite the fact that both the AM and FM versions of HD radio are a
good example of out-of -control technology that nobody really wants,
the FCC has mandated that all broadcasting will be digital.
Therefore, I see no turning back regardless of what the consumer does
or doesn't want or understand.

Switching to digital just makes sense.

Really? And just how does that make sense?

Digital makes better use of the limited space available.

How does a digital mode do that?

Analog modes are inefficient, because they waste bandwidth sending
sounds you can not hear. Digital only removes that extraneous
information, and thus uses the space more efficiently.

Utter rubbish.

Which is why a digital radio like HD can squeeze 5 channels into the
same space as 2- channel FM. ----- Or five FM-quality (64 kbps
each) programs into the space of 1 FM channel.

And have poor sound quality.

Digital psychoacoustic modeling is more efficient (sends only sounds
you can hear), than the older inefficient analog modulations (that
waste space sending sound you can't hear).

Compression algorithms generate poor quality sound voice or music.
Compression algorithms are no substitute for a higher bit rate.

With digital the FM band would effectively triple or even quadruple
the number of channels on the dial. (Alternatively Classical FM
stations could boost the sound from 2 channel stereo to 5.1
surround.)

Do you understand the consequences of what you propose?
Apparently you do not.

No, because I can not read your mind. Please explain the
consequences.

The answer is no because you don't understand what you are posting about.

The simple answer is you don't get something for nothing. Transmitting
intelligence has three basic parameters, distance, power, and bandwidth.
I suggest you read up on the theory of transmission of information and
then post back here after you are informed.

How do you know that going to a digital mode of transmission would be
good for the consumer? You don't think there is a down side?

Was there a downside to upgrading from Cassettes to CDs? No. Was
there a downside to upgrading from analog VHS to digital DVDs? No.
Was there a downside to upgrading from analog radio to Digital
satellite radio? No. (I could go on-and-on with other examples like
digital MP3s and Ipods and Internet radio and.....)

To date, I've not seen a downside to abandoning Analog format and
adopting new Digital ones.

But I'm sure you have some.
What are the downsides?

None of what you mentioned above bears on the subject at hand. CD, DVD,
and the like are the media digital data is recorded on. Radio is
information transmission over distance. Not at all the same thing.

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

How wonderful. What a simply splendid idea. I just
have to ask why you think this is such a great idea?

Already answered in my previous post.

Why should more channels of the same content be something people would
want?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California