Old September 30th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Ogden Bill Ogden is offline

Default Chokes and QRN

For the sloper, choke the line at the bottom of the tower. For the
beam, choke the line at the top and the bottom of the tower.

However, as far as this conventional advice goes, the lower choking
would seem to be redundant to the 50 foot run under ground. That
should choke the line just as well. If the beam comes with a choke
(I'm not sure how much they invest in that technically instead of just
for advertising's sake) then there's no point in more there either.

Good advice about the sloper; and about the 50' underground acting as a
choke. I was hoping for a magic solution to a little of the "atmospheric"
noise on 80 and 160, but there may not be any magic.

I do not sense much of a noise problem with the beam, but I will try a choke
at the feed point sometime. (The coax to the beam also has the 50'
underground run, so a choke at the bottom of the tower is probably not
needed.)

Bill - W2WO