Old September 30th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 30, 11:44 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon"

I'm sorry, I fail to see the logic of your argument. Try again.

Let's say in Anytown that there are 24 formats that could get over about a 1
share.... in other words, the percentage of listening that would get
advertisers results based on enough listeners hearing the message. But
Anytown has only 12 FM signals that do a decent job of covering the market.
So there are 12 viable formats that are not being done in Anytown, formats
that would be salable, listenable and useful.

So, a station puts one of the viable second tier of formats on

Eminently logical. I've already stated this elsewhere, but it's worth
repeating. The Baltimore station has split into 3 sub-channels:
- AOR
- Classic Rock
- Indie Rock

A puny set of choices indeed compared to what internet radio yields.

.....thus giving listeners more options, more variety, more music.
It's similar to what's been happening to Cable TV the last ten years,
slowly but surely expanding from ~50 channels to ~200 channels. (And
profiting.)

A mere hiccup compared to what internet radio offers.