Old September 30th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

Default HOW OLD are you?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Don Pearce"
wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm 57, and I'd like to say I'm an engineer, but the word is debased
currency these days. People like me, who have done the studying, can
design systems and circuits, write international standards, climb a
transmitter tower in a gale, get you a telecomms license and shmooze
middle eastern potentates etc etc are engineers.

Designing circuits and writing standards will get you "engineer." The
other
things you mention are too nebulous to qualify for a title, but they're
good
things to be good at.

Yes. I believe the word you're looking for is "technician" - somebody
who knows how to fix various things and assemble them, but doesn't
know how to design, because they typically have only 2 years of
college or trade school.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".