Old September 30th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default HOW OLD are you?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:26:16 -0700, wrote:

On Sep 30, 3:03 pm, "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
wrote in message
Soundhaspriority wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

But every digital device is full of analogue devices. Not only that,
but they run so quickly that you need to be highly competent in
distributed circuit theory and microwave design techniques.

Digital is only of use if you do your engineering at the LEGO level.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com