Old October 1st 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SFTV_troy SFTV_troy is offline

Default HD radio won't just go away.

craigm wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

"

Streaming is not DX. Also, where do you think these rural listeners are
going to get broadband (hint: satellite internet doesn't handle streaming
audio for beans, since the backhaul is still via telephone modem, and the
lag doesn't allow for enough FEC... )

Can you explain "backhaul is still via telephone modem"?

Computers operate in two directions during internet access. Typically
the phone line or DSL or cable line flows both down & up across the
same wire, but not satellite:

DOWN - from the satellite
UP - via the phone line

So the down channel is broadband, while the up channel is narrowband.
The thing Brenda forgot is that virtually all of these AM websites are
optimized for phone line usage. I don't need broadband to DX to
California or the UK or Australia via my 56K modem.