Old October 1st 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default HD radio won't just go away.

In article om,
SFTV_troy wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:
"Telamon"

I'm sorry, I fail to see the logic of your argument. Try again.

Let's say in Anytown that there are 24 formats that could get over about a 1
share.... in other words, the percentage of listening that would get
advertisers results based on enough listeners hearing the message. But
Anytown has only 12 FM signals that do a decent job of covering the market.
So there are 12 viable formats that are not being done in Anytown, formats
that would be salable, listenable and useful.

So, a station puts one of the viable second tier of formats on

Eminently logical. I've already stated this elsewhere, but it's worth
repeating. The Baltimore station has split into 3 sub-channels:
- AOR
- Classic Rock
- Indie Rock

.....thus giving listeners more options, more variety, more music.
It's similar to what's been happening to Cable TV the last ten years,
slowly but surely expanding from ~50 channels to ~200 channels. (And
profiting.)

Pretty clueless of you to compare cable to radio broadcasting.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California