Old October 1st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default News Flash - d'Eduardo Admits - HD Radios "Bite Big Time" !

In article om,
wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
SFTV_troy wrote:

Telamon wrote:

The reason are several but paramount is the fact that the
digital implementations are old technology......

Old? Both HD Radio and DRM (and also DAB+) are using the latest MPEG4
HE-AAC+SRM codecs. That's the newest and most-advanced digital
compression standard currently available.

The modulation is COFDM - also one of the newest
ideas available for sending data via broadcast.

CODFM has been around for decades

FALSE. It only dates back 1990 when it was standardized. NOT in any
way "old" and certainly not decades (more like just over 1 decade).

True bozo. Go look it up. CODFM is not a standard it is a concept
applied to radio transmission, telephone lines and other media.

The concept of data compression has been
around for decades. It is not a new idea.

Yes data compression is old, but MPEG4 HE-AAC is NEW. It was only
standardized in 2003, and thus your categorization that it is "old"
technology is false.

So what. You like looking at pixilated picture also? Do you understand
the downside to digital compression? Do you understand the term
"loss-less" in this context?

Such as? You keep telling me "digital has downfalls" but
so far you've not told me what they are. Please share
that information, because I'm curious to know.

Well I'm not gonna do that. You are a proponent of HD so go read
up on it. You should know about what you promote beforehand.

Wow.
Gee.

Indeed.

You're silence has totally failed to convince me (or anybody who might
be "on the fence" and undecided) that HD is bad. Alright. Here's the
reasons I like HD:

- analog sucks like a scratchy record
- lack-of-variety sucks
-
- Once analog is dead, Digital AM will have the sound quality of FM
(10 kHz wide) or even CD (+5 khz wider), so AM radio can carry
something other than just talk. Like maybe some music that doesn't
sound like its coming out of a telephone (example: Radio Disney AM).
-
- Once analog is dead, Digital FM will be able to offer 3-4 times as
many channels across the band. And Classical Radio stations will be
able to present it the way it was meant to be heard (300 kbps
surround).

Hybrid Digital Radio is a *good* thing.
As good as the internet radio.
As good as the music coming out of my Ipod.
As good as the HDTV that is replacing blurry NTSC.

Don't know much do you and that does not stop you from posting about it
or promoting something you don't understand. Gee whizz, who does that
sound like? I guess fake hispanics and digital electrical engineers go
hand in hand.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California