Old October 1st 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
Roadie Roadie is offline

Default DX'ing using the internet - No need for long-distance AM

On Oct 1, 6:07 am, wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

Listen to the AM/MW Radio Band and the very
Negative Effect that IBOC has had on It :

I've heard it. I don't care, because it doesn't affect the local
stations (OK city) I am listening to on my way to work, or on my way
back home.

I don't care, because when I want to do distant listening, I am not
stuck back in World War 2. I am in the 21st century and use the
internet to listen as far away as London or Japan or Australia.

Most people listening to radio broadcasts do so because they are
looking for content and don't really care all that much how the signal
got to the speaker. Those are the people that broadcasters and
advertisers focus their efforts on.

DX liseners are focused not so much on content as on knowing when
signal propogation conditions will change to allow non-local stations
to be temporarily heard. They are interested more in documenting that
momentary catch than content. As a consequence broadcast stations and
advertisers really have no commercial interest in assuring their
signal reaches DXers.

Listening 'On-Line' is not Free Over-the-Air Radio

Yes it is. Just as watching NBC or FOX on your cable is still Free
over-the-air television. They are still sending out their waves to
their local markets. There are still some people watching/listening
to them via the antenna.