Old November 4th 03, 06:37 PM
Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Harrison wrote:
The purpose of a loading coil in a short loaded vertical antenna is
often to add to the existing degrees of antenna length to reach a
resonant length of 90-degrees, as shown in Fig 9-22 of ON4UN`s "Low-Band
DXing", and included on Yuri`s web pages.

In order for a current maximum to exist at the feedpoint of a shortened
(less than 1/4WL) vertical, the forward current must undergo a phase
shift of 90 degrees, followed by the 180 degree phase shift from being
reflected by an open circuit, followed by another 90 degree phase shift
in the reflected current wave. An 8 foot whip gives about 11 degrees of
phase shift end to end on 75m for a total of 22 degrees. If the coil
causes no phase shift, where does the other 338 degrees of phase shift
come from?

Some people thought I was disagreeing with Richard. I wasn't. I was
agreeing with him and adding another reason why he is right. Incidentally,
the 338 degrees above should have been 158 degrees. I forgot to subtract
the 180 degree current phase reversal at the end of the standing-wave
antenna. Since the coil is the only other thing in the circuit, it
must necessarily contribute that 158 degrees, 79 degrees in each
direction.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp