Old October 2nd 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kenneth Grimm, K4XL Kenneth Grimm, K4XL is offline

Default Ground rod lengths vs number

I'm installing a new tower and bought, as part of the package, the
grounding kit. This consists of four 10 ft copper clad ground rods,
plus all the accessories needed to connect them to the tower.

My problem is that after about 5 feet of good old red clay I hit solid
rock. I'm tempted to cut the 10 ft rods in half and simply have eight
5 ft rods. Since this is the only practical alternative that I can
see.

Will the eight 5 ft rods give me the same "ground" as the four 10 ft
rods? Or, do I need to add even more 5 ft rods to achieve the same
ground? ( I knew I should have bought that Megger at the hamfest. )

Opinions welcomed. Empirically derived evidence treasured! 8*)

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at
http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr