Old October 2nd 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Ground rod lengths vs number

Jimmie D wrote:
"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:58:46 -0400, "Kenneth Grimm, K4XL"
wrote:

Will the eight 5 ft rods give me the same "ground" as the four 10 ft
rods? Or, do I need to add even more 5 ft rods to achieve the same
ground?

Hi Ken,

Oddly enough, you could as easily lay the rods out in a shallow trench
(say, a foot deep) and get the same grounding, if not better. The
only rule of thumb that might be observed is to not have them in
proximity to one or the other. Proximity would mean about five feet
in 10 foot parallel trenches.

However, to satisfy convention: cut them in half (or research the
archives here for rotary hammers) and keep them isolated, one from the
other, by at least three feet.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

I think the rule of thunb is to separate ground rounds by an amount equal to
their length.

Which gets pretty tought as you bring them to the antenna..... ;^)

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -