Old October 3rd 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
terry terry is offline

Default 370 AC capacitors

Found some 370 volt AC (look like motor starting caps.) in several
sizes at fairly reasonable price, locally.

They would be non-electrolytic and non-polarized. In several values
between 10 and 45 mfd.

May have asked this question before; if so have forgotten the answer!
So forgive me.

But would these caps be OK as filters in the B+ of a conventional DC
power supply. Sixty hertz at 115/230 volt input. (120 hz. ripple).

Ten mfd. sound well within the range for the max. size of a filter on
the cathode output of a typical 5 volt rectifier for example A 45
would be OK after a choke input, in the second or third stage of
filtering.

Am I missing something. These are a physically slightly bigger than
'old' style electrolytics as I remember them. Probably at least two or
three times the volume of modern ones. But cap size especially in home
construction not huge issue?

Comments or contradictions welcomed. TIA Terry