Old October 5th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Nightime Secondary Service Protected to 750 Miles

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
.

What Radio claims,...and I can speak with some clarity, here, having
been involved in the process for a good chunk of my career, even up to
this last spring,...is that what it does is dicated to by the public,
based on focus groups, perceptual research, and music tests in front of
listeners. And that advertisers and listeners respond positively. What
Radio doesn't tell you, is that the focus groups are highly selected
from
'desirable' listeners, as defined by advertiser requirements and
expectations,

Now that is a generalization that my fit one company, but in every
experience I have, with a dozen research companies I have delt with, as
well
as our own, such a statement is, if not an exaggeration, a lie.

Most listener research is done to best serve an existing format. So one
picks mostly one's own listeners.... and generally, those who listen a
lot
(so they will know the music or format or hosts or whatever) and tries to
find what will serve them better. Some secondary listeners are picked...
those who may listen more to another station, but who also have enough
interest in our station to know about the music or the programming.

Snip

Well I must admit that sure does sound like you to pick a small group of
people that will reinforce your own thinking. Since it serves your
purpose I don't expect you to see the incestuous nature of what you
promote.

Of course, your rabid statement does not explain why we have the top two
radio stations in Los Angeles, and have for nearly all of the last 10 years
or why we have a limited coverage class A FM that does so well it is in the
top 5 or 6 in 25-53 in LA among over 60 local stations.

Of course, a fool like you who even questions Bob Orban and then is nasty to
him can be expected to be oblivious to reality.