Old October 6th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default GPS gurus please read

In "Kenneth Grimm, K4XL"
wrote:

... but for the time being I'm mainly interested in
getting directions through some large cities and also being able to
report my exact position for HFTA antenna system purposes. Does such
a gadget exist?

All of the current Garmin mapping handhelds will do that.

For US buyers, out of the box, they have a crude "basemap" of the US
with Interstates and major roads within cities, but you can buy detailed
maps of north America for navigation.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

Even without extra-cost maps, they all show latitude and longitude and
most have NMEA outputs for connecting to external devices.

I have a 76CSx that I'm quite happy with.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=351

I'm sure the other makers have essentially similar products.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN