Old October 7th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Anonymous[_2_] Anonymous[_2_] is offline

Default yaesu FT-817ND without antenna tuner?

In article , James
Barrett wrote:

Hi, I'm a new ham, and I'm looking for my first HF transceiver. I am
considering the Yaesu FT-817ND.

I'm a new ham using the FT-817ND. I wish I had gotten a 100-watt rig as
my first transmitter and gotten the low-power 817ND later. I do like
the idea of QRP (low power) operation but it requires patience and some
experience with knowing when the bands are open. Probably not the best
choice for a new ham.

I did some google searches and could not
find any information about using an antenna tuner with this rig. How can
it work on all bands without a tuner?

For the frequencies above 30 MHz you can use the whip antenna that
comes with the 817ND. No tuner will be needed.

For the frequencies below 30 MHz you need some sort of outdoor antenna.
You can find some ready to use antennas at the MFJ Enterprises web site
among many other places. One example of a way to go is this. Get a
simple dipole antenna for the 80 meter band and install it outdoors.
You can use that antenna on the band it's made for without a tuner.

With the help of a tuner (such as the automatic Z-11 Pro by LDG
Electronics) you could also use that antenna on higher frequencies such
as the 40 meter band, the 30 meter band, etc.

sincerely,

anonymous in Florida

--
-30-