Old October 7th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.space,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.physics,sci.energy,sci.physics.electromag
oriel36 oriel36 is offline

Default Receiving 2 GHz AM signals in space. What do they sound like?

On Oct 7, 8:54 am, "Green Xenon [Radium]"
wrote:
Mas Plak wrote:
"Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote in message
.. .

Hi:

Let's say I am in a space station which has a 2 GHz DX AM analog
receiver that receives the magnetic fields [while ignoring the electric
fields]

WRONG. it is therefore not an EM wave, and your receiver will not pick it
up.

An EM wave has an electric component and a magnetic component. The
antenna determines whether you are interacting with the electric portion
of the field or the magnetic. A shielded loop will receive the magnetic
portion of the field and ignore the electric if properly constructed.

of extremely weak 2 GHz AM analog carrier signals. In addition,
this receiver is so sensitive and powerful that it can clearly pick up
AM carrier waves as weak as 10-to-the-power-NEGATIVE-10,000
watt-per-meter-squared.

Powerful is the wrong word.

Then what is the correct word? "Sensitivity"?

What type of "selectiveity" does it have??

What do you mean by "selectivity"?

This receiver also has a robust signal processor
that can eliminate clipped-waveforms [such as square waves], spikes,
clicks, pops, hiss, and random noise

It can not eliminate random noise

How about in the mysterious too-good-to-be-true situation that it can?
Then what would happen?

I used to often play my Nintendo when it was connected to channel 3.
However, I was change the TV channel to 4. I could see the video of the
game but it was fuzzy and covered in grains. The music of the game was
absent, and instead was filled with frightening-yet-enjoyable tones
[sounding like a buzzer, lawn mower, or electric shaver] along with a
faint audio of what was being discussed on the channel 4 news.

Is there a good chance I would hear something similar on my 2 GHz AM DX
receiver in space?

Also, whenever there is drill or an actually emergency, the Emergency
Alert System [EAS] plays their music. First they play the boring
low-pitch square-wave tones. Then they play the high-pitched,
terrifying, psychedelic sine-wave tones.

Is there a good chance I would hear something similar to the second
higher-pitched set of EAS tones on my 2 GHz AM DX receiver in space?

Let me put you out of your misery,I do not know how old you are but
you unwittingly introduce a big no-no by postulating EM waves in space
and that implies a medium.

This is fine,they were faced with a dilemma in the mid19th century
inherited from Newton where they could live happily with the the Sun
influencing the Earth without a medium but could not conceive the Sun
illuminating the Earth without one.Check the top right column of the
following article from 1843 to affirm this -

http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/i...5 4.336.x.425

50 years later they dumped a medium on Newton anyway as 'absolute
space' and then conveniently rejected it all over again and then you
have 100 years of relativistic junk,some hopeless cases still think it
is an achievement but they are the ones who jump in here and try to
make you look like an idiot even though it may be a fair question.