Old October 7th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The Shadow[_2_] The Shadow[_2_] is offline

Default yaesu FT-817ND without antenna tuner?

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:36:32 -0400, James Barrett
wrote:

I'm not worried about the low power either. I think having a high
powered radio for my first rig would make me lazy. It would be easier
for me to pump out wattage rather than fine tune my antenna. Besides
that, when I am ready for higher power, I could add an amplifier. One
thing at a time. ;-)

Most of the current solid state 100 watt HF rigs have a menu
adjustment that allows you to lower your power to the 5 or 10 watt
level, so you have a choice of power output, depending on band
conditions. With a QRP-only rig, you're stuck at that power level.
It's also a power level that works best in the CW or digital modes, as
opposed to SSB.

bob
k5qwg

I Agree with Bob - I operate QRP when the mood strikes me and propagation is
good. I have a Kenwood TS-870SAT which is adjustable from 100 Watts down to
a little less than 5 Watts. Have worked DXCC QRP - 2/3 SSB, 1/3 CW, but this
was at the solar cycle peak.

Propagation is poor now because we are at the bottom of the solar cycle

At the peak of the solar cycle one can work the world with 5 Watts (if
propagation is favorable) particularly on the upper bands - 10M thu 15M. The
next solar peak is around the year 2011

Building your own antenna for multiband is challenging. A G5RV comes to
mind - but usually requires an external tuner (even if your rig has an
internal tuner). Most modern rigs may cover a 3 to 1 mismatch and a G5RV can
be well out of that range on some bands.

Good Luck
Lamont