Old October 7th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default yaesu FT-817ND without antenna tuner?

Jim

I agree with Tam. It is way more cost effective to buy a 2nd hand 100W
radio than a new low power one. It's easy to reduce output power when
you want to. The only reason I would go so low is if I ever wanted to
run it backpack portable.

Compare some prices! You will then be able to afford an ATU as well!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Unless you have experience with QRP, you might find this an exercise in
frustration. If you don't want to spend the money now, I would look for a
deal on a used 100W rig. There is not much to choose from in amplifiers
(other than VHF/UHF) that don't require 100W of drive.