Old October 8th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Tantalum capacitor value?

Hank Zoeller wrote:
I need to replace some capacitors in a boat anchor receiver. These caps
are across the power supply rails on a logic circuit board. They are
marked "227 +10K". My interpretation of that is 220 MF. at 10 VDC with
a 10% tolerance. Does my interpretation sound correct?

Any suggestions for a replacement? If I use tantalums will I be doing
this again in 20 years?

Thanks,

That looks right. Unless I was willing to do some analysis I'd replace
them with tantalums that have the same general look, and expect to
replace them again down the road. The only real alternative that would
approach the size are niobium or other rare-earth caps which have aging
and performance characteristics that are substantially the same as
tantalums, or some of the newer aluminum electrolytic caps which will
tend to have a shorter life (although with less dramatic failure modes).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services