Old October 9th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
gb[_2_] gb[_2_] is offline

Default Dial backlash

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
news
In message GPCMi.4116$PV1.731@trndny08, Edward Knobloch
writes

Rick wrote:
My Drake 2B has a case of what I think is called backlash. If I move
the dial ever so slightly and let go of it the knob tries to return to
its original position. The vfo frequency does not seem to change very
much, not as much as the knob does. In other words I can tune in a
SSB station without much difficulty, but if I atttempt to make tiny
changes (to really fine tune the station perfectly) it is almost
impossible.

I had a similar problem with my Drake 2B, and figured it was due to dial
cord slippage.
I rubbed a stick of GC Electronics "Dial Cord Dressing",
part number 1212, on the dial cord, and the problem disappeared.

The product is like a sticky wax candle or crayon. I don't know
if they still manufacture it.

Would violin rosin/resin work?
Ian

YES