Old October 10th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
kangarooasia kangarooasia is offline

Default Shortwave or Digital Radio Mondiale?

A concern I have is that the broadcasters mostly seem to be scaling
back shortwave. I'm wondering what's the point if DW, BBC and others
are not even available to me (if that eventuates).

My budget is, maybe, $150. I'd like to listen, in good quality
ideally, to a range of broadcasters (obviously I guess). Whichever
option gives me that, I don't mind. I live in the middle of a big
city near power lines, so I don't want to hear just noise (and btw
hypothetically then find out that BBC is unattainable where I am).

I know the BBC and others have their flaws, but I'd like to listen to
intelligent, intellectually-stimulating stuff. What else is out
there, apart from BBC, Radio Netherlands and so on?

By the way, how would I even go about getting started with DRM. The
main point, similarly although slightly different, is I don't want to
get DRM to find out the range is limited. I should add, I'm really
clueless in all this!