Old October 11th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
ShutterMan ShutterMan is offline

Default SWL'er question - Reciever costs

Hey folks,

A lurking SWL listener here. Was wondering something about receivers
in general. Why is it that all-band receivers are generally more
expensive than HF-only receivers? I know there are other circuits in
there, but in essence, aren't all receiver circuits basically the
same, just with the ability to tune to different frequencies?

I suppose another way of asking is this: a simple AM radio tank
circuit could be modified by adjusting the coil turns and/or variable
capacitor in order to pick up other frequencies. Why does this
(rather oversimplified) simple change cause the cost of the receiver
to go up nearly 50% in cost? (comparing a simple handheld AM radio
with one that includes a shortwave band or two). An AM/FM stereo
radio is cheaper in many cases than a similar radio with SW bands.
But you'd think that VHF reception would be slightly more expensive to
manufacture than AM's nearby neighbor SW. Confuses me.

I also notice that HF transceivers can cost roughly the same as HF
receivers - you'd think a receiver WITH transmitter would be much more
expensive, but from what I can see its not. Something isn't
registering in my mind as to why all these cost differences.

Thanks for your responses.