Old October 11th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tony Giacometti Tony Giacometti is offline

Default Low Noise Receiving antennas

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote:

This leads me to believe that I need a separate sensing antenna for 80
meters. Anyone have any ideas for this problem? Is this thinking correct?

I would start with a T2FD. It's simple to build and cheap. The only
expensive part is the loading resistor which for receiving only can be a
1/4 watt.

A balun would help, for receiving you can use a TV balun.

I am confused..............are you suggesting I use a T2FD for a noise
sensing antenna to be used with my ANC-4?

Or should I take down my vertical transmitting antenna and replace it with a
T2FD?

The vertical I use works extremely well for transmitting, its not going
away. What I need is a solution to the noise. Which would be a low noise
receive only antenna of some type.

I have been looking at low noise receiving loops and other low noise
antennas. Wellbrook at http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ seems to have some
interresting possibilities, but some of the reviews I have read have made
me hesistant to purchase any of their products.

Each one has its benefits and its costs. How much you want to spend on an
antenna is a personal decisison and unfortunately, you can't tell if it
really does anything for you until you have bought it.

I do believe that any antenna's performance is entirely dependent on the
environment its in.

An other possibility is to use an active antenna and mount it high up.

any suggestions as to which one I might use?

Geoff.