Old October 11th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tony Giacometti Tony Giacometti is offline

Default Low Noise Receiving antennas

Steve wrote:

On Oct 11, 1:38 pm, Tony Giacometti wrote:
I live in a neighborhood that as the years have gone on
has added a number of new homes. This has increased the
electrical "noise" for me where S1 or S2 on 80 meters 6-8 yrs ago
is now S7 to S9. At this point in time I don't have the room for a K9AY
setup. I can only "dream" of a beverage.

I have a Timewave ANC-4 which works very well on 40 meters as I can null
out ALL the "noise".

Not so on 80 meters as it only knocks it down 2 S Units.
At best I have an S-6 noise level.

This leads me to believe that I need a separate sensing antenna for 80
meters. Anyone have any ideas for this problem? Is this thinking correct?

I have been looking at low noise receiving loops and other low noise
antennas. Wellbrook athttp://www.wellbrook.uk.com/seems to have some
interresting possibilities, but some of the reviews I have read have made
me hesistant to purchase any of their products.

What I need is some serious input from anyone who has any experience and
knowledge in dealing with low band noise issues.
As I am now space limited due to all the new neighbors any solution would
need to take this into consideration.

TIA

What kind of sense antenna are you currently using? I use an active
whip as a sense antenna (specifically, an H-800 "Skymatch" antenna)
and it enables me to squash *any* noise on 80 meters using my ANC-4.

I use a small dipole like antenna where one half is at 45 degrees the feed
point is a few inches above ground and the other side runs paralle to
ground about 1-2 inches above ground. I think the whole sense antenna is
about 6 ft long and runs in a straight line.

I will look up the H-800 on the web.

Did you try various antennas and configurations before you settled on the
H-800? What made you decide to go with the H-800?

I tried different "antennas" and configurations, for this location this has
worked out the best that I have found. I do realize there could be a
zazillion different antennas and configurations.