Old October 12th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ross Archer Ross Archer is offline

Default VHF/UHF handheld transceiver recommendation

On Oct 11, 5:06 am, Steve wrote:
I would have labeled this as "off topic", but thanks to Tardo the
distinction between what's on/off-topic is now meaningless.

I'm thinking about picking up a new handheld tranceiver, probably a
dual bander for 2 m. and 70 cm. Decent audio would be nice and build
quality is important to me. I'd appreciate any advice about what to
consider and/or avoid.

Thanks,

Steve

* Is small, compact size important?

* Do you need "dual receive", with independent volume controls for
each band?

* Is an add-on alkaline battery case for emergency backup important?

* Is full 5 watt output important in your area?

The local ARES uses Yaesu FT-60Rs. They seem pretty sturdy, and you
can purchase an alkaline battery case for extended operations long
after the rechargeable pack runs out.

I highly recommend "eham" http://ww.eham.net :
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/49