Old October 12th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
IBOCcrock IBOCcrock is offline

Default AM news/talk/sports is alive-and-well, you piece-of-crap!

On Oct 12, 2:23?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"SFTV_troy" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 11, 11:32 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

If AM stations slowly die out, I assume the AM band would get
reassigned to some other purpose. The 1.7 megahertz wide channel
would be perfect for a single DAB multiplex carrying ~10 separate
channels.

First, we are talking a decade or so... while AM is nearly dead for those
under 45 or 50, there is still listening in the senior generation. Add to
that the ethnic, religious and brokered operations and there are plenty of
AMs that make some money... they just don't compete for listenership. As
long as the mail order ministries exist, AM will exist also.

"News/Talk/Sports:Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while
FMs
are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
radio..."

http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

"The Last Days of AM Radio?"

"Sports, all-news and talk programming continue to draw large
audiences to the AM band in most big cities..."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfi...st_days_of_am_...

"News/Talk/Sports Tops Radio Formats, Interep Analysis Reveals"

"The latest share numbers place the News/Talk/Sports format at the
top, pulling in an average of 17 percent of listenership among
persons
age 12-plus, based on Arbitron figures for total radio listening in
92
continuously measured metros. That share number is even higher than
levels seen last spring, when the war in Iraq began. According to
Interep, more stations than ever are programming News/Talk."

http://www.thenewsletterplace.com/05...9/article4.htm