Old October 13th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap
Barry in Wyoming Barry in Wyoming is offline

Default Oops ! - It Happen on eBay Again - Oh No I Paid Too Much !

I don't know, RHF. I've got an R8B I purchased directly from Drake,
one of the very last. Both Drake and Universal discontinued sales a
week or two after I bought mine. Mine is NOT NEW IN BOX but has sat
on a table in my bedroom getting occasional use. I've got the VHF
unit, Drake installed when new, and one of Mike's metal tuning knobs.
I've got the service manual and the IR remote thingie (never used) and
some programming software. I've got more than $1725 in the radio and
were I to sell it, I'd love to get $1725 or more, but I wouldn't
consider it a "rip-off."

Most of my casual listening is on an Eton E1 to local FM (NPR) or C-
SPAN (XM). At least once a week I listen on the R8B. It's nice for
me to own such a great radio, and were I cruising eBay, I'd not
consider $1725 too much.

I've got an almost real NEW IN BOX ICF2010, just opened twice, once by
Craig at Kiwa to install his casual FM and serious SW mods, and once
by me to check the work. I've got about $500 in that radio and, if I
were to sell it, I'd home for $500 to $700. It isn't for sale
either. Someday, my bride might sell it at MY estate sale.

Your general point that eBay can be a buyer's rip off is correct.
Maybe the buyer of this R8B paid too much. He might have put that
$1725 towards a BRAND NEW WITH WARRANTY 756PROIII or something
similar, but he might have wanted to grab the R8B while available.