Old October 14th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Equilibrium

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 07:35:11 -0700, art wrote:

libra is the sign of Zodiac which is a pair of
scales

Leave analysis of English to those who know the language - not the
natives. ;-)

Let's now proceed with that analysis...

Libra (actually the postfix of equilibrium is Librium, a drug used in
the treatment of anxiety disorders), when we divorce it of the
nonsense science of astrology (there is lot of nonsense going around
this topic), Libra is a fairly common root word found throughout
Europe having emerged from the Roman empire. Nearly every context of
Libra is with weight, and means "pound." Any Englishman would know
this, of course, given the obvious correlation to £. Odd thing is
that the Roman pound (a libra) is closer in weight to a Kilogram than
it is an English pound (in weight, not cost).

However, I was brash to dismiss the faith based science of astrology,
and in an effort to be equilhanded, we should proceed to the meaning
of Libra in that context:
"Social consciousness. Affableness. Love of Beauty.
The longing for comradeship. Sympathy. Justice.
Spiritual devotion."

Historically, astrology has been used to justify selling missiles to
Iran to obtain funds to support the failed "patriots" of Nicaragua -
so it comes as no surprise that it should pollute the idiom of RF.

Thank you Arthur for giving me the opportunity to set the vocabulary
straight,

[In a grand jesture of Librality, no emails were harmed through
inaffable violations of private spiritual devotions being disclosed
within this analysis.]

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC