Old October 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
pmf@rustyskydotcom pmf@rustyskydotcom is offline

Default Getting Started

Hello,

I'm new to this and have tons of questions. I've read a few FAQ's but
need some specific help. I live in Massachusetts, west of Boston on a
pond.
1. In general, will living on a pond have any negative effects on my
reception? I've been told from the wireless phone company that the
reflections of waves off the water causes some of my cell phone signal
issues.
2. I'd like to listen to eastern Europe stations - after I get
something set up is it reasonable for me to assume I will be able to
get these stations? And if so, can I get them consistently - every day/
night?
3. I have a Grundig Yachtboy 400. Is this enough of a radio?
4. I see lots of big old rigs - do I need one of these? They do look
like a lot of fun!
5. My Yacht boy has only a small jack for an external antenna (no BNC)
- so how do I rig up a good antenna?
6. What would be a good antenna? I'd prefer some inside the house rig
- even if it's more money. I was looking at Grove's AOR LA380 ANT44DS
loop antenna. Is this a good antenna / solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Paul