Old October 19th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default New antenna

On Oct 18, 3:03 pm, art wrote:

Actually John my beef is that the rule for the most efficient
radiation
is that "if a radiating element is resonant and in equilibrium it can
be of any shape, size or
elevation". Yet that is ignored by the so called experts of the
amateur ranks.

Maybe because it's not true.. :/
Whether or not an antenna is resonant means very little.
Most any wire will radiate nearly all power applied to it.
It doesn't matter if it's a full wave, half wave, quarter wave,
or even 1/16 of a wave.
And I don't even consider myself an expert, and can
comprehend and retain that simple fact of life.
My usual antennas used do happen to be resonant, but it has
nothing to do with the efficiency of the antennas themselves.
The reason I radiate over 90-95 percent of my power is because
I'm feeding the 50 ohm antenna with fairly low loss 50 ohm
feed line from a 50 ohm radio with no garbage in between.
In other words, I'm getting most of my power to the antenna.
And like I say, once you get it there, it will be radiated, no
matter what size or shape the antenna.
It doesn't take an expert to know that. It's in most all of the
books and can be read by anyone.

Would I use an antenna with an intentional resister?
No.
Do I care if anyone else does?
No.
I have ways of doing the same "all band" job and not lose
efficiency. You will never see me running a dummy load
on a stick or wire...
But thats just me.. I'm kind of anal when it comes to turning
my RF into heat.
MK