Old October 20th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default New antenna

On Oct 19, 5:17 am, Derek wrote:
On Oct 19, 6:28 am, "Richard Fry" wrote:

snip

\\ Enthusiasm is always good, but if it was possible to do what you outline
using the radiation possible on 160 m solely from a structure in the shape
of a 4 ft cube, IMO it would have been done long ago.

Some very experienced antenna engineers including George Brown of RCA,
Carl E. Smith, John Kraus, C. Balanis and many others have investigated this
subject over the last 60-70 years, and have concluded that nothing smaller
is as effective on MW as a linear, vertical monopole at least 1/4-wave high,
using a good r-f gound

Hi Richard

so you are saying that as all the afore mentioned came to the same
conclusion, there is no possibility they were 'all' wrong?, if that is
the case then all is known and there is no point in trying to prove
otherwise as there is nothing left to learn.
I think not.

Derek

The chances of them being wrong is about .01 %...
They have only had 70 years to double check themselves.. :/
The size of the small 4 ft antenna is the least of your problems.
Wait until you try to get all your power to it...
Myself, I think this "new" antenna is nothing new at all.
He's not doing anything that hasn't been done before.
But even that point is fairly moot..
The design is an inferior one when it comes down to it.
For a given height of vertical radiator, there is no form of
no inductor at all.
Not in efficiency, and not in current distribution.
And even if a coil is needed to tune, it's still the best,
vs other methods. The top of the radiator is the best
place to add capacitance.
Top hat loading gives the most linear current
distribution through a short whip.
So...Do I get to re-invent and patent this new whiz
bang up top loaded vertical...
Har... Give me a break..
Then again, maybe I could talk the military into using
my superior antenna vs his inferior one. I could make
a zillion bucks overnight with all the lucrative contracts.
Move to Beverly Hills... Swimming pools...Britney!

Naw, after mulling it over, I think I'd rather stay in Tejas
with the normal people...

If you go to the hospital to get a bypass, do you want
a doctor that follows proven medical theory and practice,
or do you want Jethro and Granny to have a go at it?
:/
MK