Old October 21st 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] michael.jh.ng@gmail.com is offline

Default TEA5757 radio design

Hello,

I've been "designing" a Philips TEA5757-based radio by fitting readily
available components (i.e. from Digikey or Mouser) into the outdated
application circuit. I'm currently stuck on the FM front-end tank
circuit; I'm not quite sure I understand how it's done in the
application diagram (page 27 of the TEA5757 datasheet). By my
calculations, it shouldn't work.

The tank consists of a dual varactor (BB804), a 10 pF trimmer, and a
RF coil that I cannot find the specs for (Toko MC117 E523FN-2000242).
The schematic says the coil has 38 pF capacitance, and from comparison
with current Toko coils and googling I'm guessing that it's an
unshielded coil with a Q 100 and an inductance 100 nH. From the
BB804 datasheet, each individual varactor has an effective range of
20-60 pF (generous assumption given 12V supply), so the series
combination results in 10-30 pF.

Altogether, the capacitance range is 48 to 68 pF, and 68/48 = 1.42. We
need (108/88)^2 = 1.5 to tune the FM radio band. Stray capacitance and
the trimmer don't help. I doubt Philips would provide a bum
application diagram, so I must be missing something.

Thanks,
Mike

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...757_5759_3.pdf
http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...ts/BB804_3.pdf