Old October 25th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JERD JERD is offline

Default Antenna earth stakes - a tricky one!

I am wanting to install an earth stake/rod for a new antenna system. The
problem I have is that the 'best' position for this falls somewhere near
where our underground sewer pipes run. As accurate measurements that I can
ascertain from the engineering drawings puts it somewhere within 3" (75mm)
of this sewer pipe and I am not prepared to rely on the accuracy of the
drawing and or the pipes installer and end up puncturing the sewer pipe!

I could drill a hole in a concrete path and sink the earth stake/rod through
the concrete path and this raises the question! Is this likely to be a good
position to put an earth stake/rod seeing the ground under the concrete path
would never get seasonal rain and in fact has not seen seasonal rain for
some 30 years!

Does this matter or is good old mother earth still going to provide a good
earth for my antenna system?

Sure would appreciate some advice regarding this.

VK5JE - from way 'down under'!