Old October 25th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Passaneau John Passaneau is offline

Default Antenna earth stakes - a tricky one!

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote in
:

JERD wrote:
Does this matter or is good old mother earth still going to provide a
good earth for my antenna system?

I think you should look at an alternative ground system. For example,
a copper "matt" laid over the sewer pipes instead of between them.

If you have a decent earthworm population, you can lay it down on the
ground and in a few years it will be buried. I'm assuming that you
want something for HF work, so the size of the "squares" can be fairly
large, there is no reason to use screening.

If you are looking for an electrical saftey ground, for example as
lightening protection, then a horizontal ground rod will do. Bury it
below the "frost line" and you should be ok.

Geoff.

I would hope that it’s for electrical safety as a ground rod has little
use as an RF ground. At best it’s no better than an 8’ ground radial. A
ground for lighting and electrical safety is a good thing but should be
used in parallel with an RF ground (radials or ground mat) for antennas.

John Passaneau W3JXP