Old October 26th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default my SWR reading

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
Waves of voltage, yes [1].

Voltage is proportional to the E-field.

Waves of current, yes [1].

Current is proportional to the H-field

Waves of average power, no.

ExH = joules/sec = watts. Are watts the the dimensions
of power? Are the E-field and H-field usually given in
RMS (average) values? Can ExH be considered as the
average power in an EM wave? Are you arguing that
watts are not necessarily power? Are you arguing
that it is not power until it is dissipated?

It can be done easily using forward and
reflected waves of voltage and/or current, but that approach is
off-limits for this challenge. Believers in waves of power shouldn't
need it.

"Waves of power" is just a semantic strawman designed
to elicit an emotional response. Anyone using the term
loses technical credibility. It is akin to using the
'N' word to describe race.

How about believers of EM waves containing energy passing
a point? e.g. joules/sec = watts measured at a point?

All this is explained in joules/sec = watts without referring
to volts or amps in my energy analysis article at:

http://www.w5dxp.com/energy.htm

Note that I do not mention "waves of power" anywhere in
my article. What I do talk about is forward energy waves
and reflected energy waves the average value of which can
be measured at a point in joules/sec, i.e. watts.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com