Old October 28th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] Doug Smith W9WI[_2_] is offline

Default UHF ATV converter

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:41:06 -0700, eternalsquire wrote:
To transmit a video signal on a UHF or cable television channel
(signal will be low power and transmitted along a shielded wire to
other equipment), is all I need to do is mix an baseband video signal
(S-video) with the carrier of the channel in question? Or, is there
something more I need to do?

S-video is a component signal - it splits the chroma and luma. You're
going to have to reassemble them before you can modulate it on a RF
carrier, if you want a standard TV to receive it.

I don't think most amateur TV stations use a VSB lower-sideband filter.
They seem to work OK - though they're generally going for legibility, not
high picture quality!

The other suggestion, that you use a modulator from an old VCR, is a good
one. In America that'll be VHF instead of UHF.