Old October 28th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG[_2_] K3HVG[_2_] is offline

Default D-104 Mics... how many kinds?

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

The Heath Marauder normally accepts a high-Z mic, something at or above
a nominal 8-10k Ohms. A non-amplified D-104 will do the trick, nicely.
You may, however, also use an amplified D-104 by setting the gain of the
mic and the transmitter such that it does not flat-top (overmodulate),
as observed on a 'scope. I use both models but prefer the standard
model for the likes of older Johnson-Viking and Hallicrafters
transmitters. My take on the issue.