Old October 29th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default D-104 Mics... how many kinds?

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

And some of the high-Z ones have crystal elements, while others have
dynamic alements with step-up transformers.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

You need a high-Z unbalanced input. You do not want a crystal element
mike, because the elements fail and cannot easily be replaced. Beyond
that, there are a bunch of variants that will work fine.
--scott