Old October 29th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG[_2_] K3HVG[_2_] is offline

Default D-104 Mics... how many kinds?

Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) wrote:
I'm looking on ebay for a D-104 microphone to use with my Heath Marauder
transmitter, and I need to make sure I get the right one.

There seems to be differences between models... some are amplified, some
are not; some are high impedance, and some are low.

The sellers for these mics are highly unlikely to know anything worth
knowing about them it seems... so, which one do I need for my Marauder and
how do I make sure I'm getting the right one?

Thanks...

Hmmmm. Crystal elements are, as pointed out, subject to failure
arguably far more frequently than dynamic and other types. I continue to
have good success with crystal D-104's, albeit I do take care of them.
Suitable replacement elements are still available at reasonable cost and
D-104's can sound very good on vintage AM gear. If the mic is purported
to work, the mic head and UG or TUG stand are in observably nice
physical condition, the price you paid is quite reasonable. If it turns
out the element is defective, and onsidering the cost of a replacement
element, you'll still be OK... and, have a "new" mic.