Old September 26th 04, 08:58 AM

On 25 Sep 2004 02:05:10 -0700, (Andrew
VK3BFA) wrote:

(moth .) wrote in message ...
Just to add to this, I plugged in the toaster, the microwave oven and
several other appliances and the only thing that caused the socket to
buzz when I key the HT is the hair dryer which is on OFF (but not
reset). When I pushed the reset button with the hair dryer still off,
the socket didn't buzz. I would like to understand exactly what
internally in the socket is causing that buzz which is extremely loud.
Does anyone know? Thanks for your responses to my thread.

Hi Moth,
this is indeed a bizarre problem, and by remote control I can offer no
more than a theory - I cannot vouch for its truth without a field
study of the offending apparatus.

The only plausible theory I can see is that the length of the hair
dreyer cord plus the cutout is resonating at your operating frequency
and this energy is being transferred back into the socket causing it
to buzz as its acting as a detector.

Has it been established that the buzzing is in the socket? How
about operating the dryer at the end of an extension cord, both
tripped and reset, to see if the buzzing follows the dryer plug or
stays with the socket?