Old October 29th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default D-104 Mics... how many kinds?

K3HVG wrote:

Hmmmm. Crystal elements are, as pointed out, subject to failure
arguably far more frequently than dynamic and other types. I continue to
have good success with crystal D-104's, albeit I do take care of them.
Suitable replacement elements are still available at reasonable cost and
D-104's can sound very good on vintage AM gear.

Where are they available? The last I heard, CAD/Astatic was replacing
the crystal elements with dynamic ones if they came in for repair, claiming
they couldn't make the original crystal any more.

The crystal itself is sealed with a flexible goo... as long as that stays
sealed, it's fine, but as soon as it develops a small crack, atmospheric
moisture gets in.
--scott