Old October 29th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default ARRL Homebrew Challenge

On Oct 29, 8:26 am, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:42:11 -0700, geek
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:10:27 +0000, John Tartar wrote:

The deadline for the ARRL homebrew challenge has passed and I hear that the
ARRL received 4 entries, all NO computer radios. NONE were in the computer
assisted category. Publication is scheduled for Feb 2008 QST

It's the $50 limit! Thats way too low under $100 then it's doable.

A Yahoo group was started to discuss developments.

Some of the entrants have posting info about their entries there.

Four entries? This does not bode well for the hobby :-(

No it may speak badly for the challenge. I've built a lot of SSB
VHF radios and $50 is a tight budget even with a large junkbox
assist.

IMHO one of the basic premises of the challenge - that the lack of sub-
$50 radios is limiting access to the hobby - is the problem. After the
designs are published and we don't see a huge influx of new hams, I
think we'll finally be able to abolish the thought that sub-$50 radios
aren't the silver bullet and move on to facing the real challenges
instead of stupid lines in the sand.

That said, I really look forward to the clever things done to make a
multimode HF transceiver for just $50.

Tim.