Old October 31st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Danny Richardson[_2_] Danny Richardson[_2_] is offline

Default Unable to get sensible readings on Vector Network Anaylzer

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:22:57 GMT, "David"
wrote:

I recently purchased an older model HP8753 Vector network analyzer. It came
with the reflection test set and calibration standards.

I have looked for some time on the net and cannot find any documents that
describe how to make practical measurements.

Initially I want to characterise some passive components (caps etc) and I
also want to be able to measure the unput impedance of an active device.

Can someone please point me in the right direction or maybe explain how I
set up a test. I have seen responses in books showing the impedance of a
capacitor and the self resonant response but when I connect a Cap to the
test port on the reflection test set I can see the correct capacitance curve
on the Smith chart display but when I switch to mag, the line is flat acorss
the band. I cannot tell from the Smith Chart where it is self responant.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

David

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/lit.../5950-3000.pdf