Old October 31st 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Steve is offline

Default question about Yaesu FT-857D

I'm a new ham, looking to buy a transceiver that I'll use as a base
station. I want something that won't break the bank, but that will
give me room in which to "grow" as I upgrade my license. I have my eye
on the Yaesu FT-857D right now and it's gotten some good reviews on
the web.

I notice that the FT-857D's current consumption is a maximum of 22
amps, but I'm guessing that this is when transmitting with maximum
power on HF, correct? For operating on VHF and UHF, would my Astron 20
amp power supply suffice? I can always upgrade power supplies later,
if necessary, when I upgrade my license, but I'd like to think that,
if I buy the FT-857D now, I won't also have to buy another power
supply right away.

Thanks,

Steve