Old November 2nd 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
VK2KCE VK2KCE is offline

Default Braid

Hello Group,
I am currently restoring a Hygain 18AVt vertical antenna for our local AR
club.

I have dis-assembled the bracket on which the feedpoint is mounted. I have
discovered that the centre conductor of the SO239 to the first vertical
member is fed with a short length of braided copper.

My question is, should I use a piece of braid or stranded copper wire, or a
piece of solid copper wire in a 1/2 turn coil to minimise any strain on the
joints?

I was led to believe that braid isn't a good earthing medium and wonder if
the same applies for feeding RF.

The maximum transmitting power won't be over 200 watts.

I would appreciate some input here.

73
John
VK2KCE